Monday 26 June 2023

Many Years Ago,

I bought a Spirograph like set of gear wheels, 


way back in 2017 as it happens,

I bought a steel table and using braces made sure the surface was levelto keep the paper and gears in place I had bought some magnets, normally you would use pins or tape to keep the paper in place, but they leave holes or marks, so I used N42 neodymium type magnets to hold the paper and the wheels, but I have to say the neodymium magnets are so strong that it was only a matter of time before The Slow Mo Guys made a recording of them smashing together, and here it is, 

they recorded the magnets colliding at 187,000 frames per second, so we can see how it happens. The collision throws parts of the magnets off, but they are quickly sucked back together. That all occurs in the first four minutes; then they try some other experiments and show us how very weird these magnets act when they're trying to handle them, and I had more than a few accidents in handling them! and I was only using small ones.


No comments: