Friday 23 June 2023

I Had A Quiet Day,

until Diana left for work, 


then at exactly 12.00 midday it started, I tried to find out what BT wanted in their telephone call of Monday, the problem being, long story short, after being transferred, cut off and trying again, I finally was put through to the correct department at 3.15 in the afternoon it was agreed, they would call me back at 3.30, 15 minutes later! which they did, all they wanted was a time at which the new line could be put into the shop, which I could not tell them, it was down to Graham at the shop to make sure everyone was in whenever they wanted to install the new line, so I gave them Graham's mobile number, I am calling into the shop on Friday with some printing, so I will find out what happened then, after my evening meal I popped outside,

to have a look at the progress that scaffolders had made,

a new upper level had been added,

at the top of all of the pointy bits of the building,

a new 'mini' floor had been added,

so the scaffolding, 

now is 4 levels high,

in some places, 

I kept looking at those tall metal poles reaching above the level of the building,

a few nights ago we had a thunder storm, and I could not help but think, what would happen if the scaffolding was hit by lightning? I have no idea, 

returning inside for a film I had not watched in years, this is what I wrote then, 

"it was a foreign import titled Siete Dias De Mayo, or 7 Days In May, the DVD has a English soundtrack and subtitles, but if you do buy a copy make sure yours also does, set in the paranoia of the cold war in the 1960s, U.S. President Jordan Lyman (Fredric March) hopes to bring an end to the Cold War by signing a nuclear disarmament treaty with the Soviets, much to the displeasure of the hawkish General James Scott (Burt Lancaster), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, when Scott's aide, Martin "Jiggs" Casey (Kirk Douglas) stumbles on shattering evidence that the General is plotting a coup to overthrow Lyman in seven days, "Jiggs" alerts the President, setting off a dangerous race to thwart the takeover, it is for me a stunningly good film especially as at the time it was released (1964), I was 14 years old, with the Cuban missile crisis just 2 years behind us, a thoroughly recommended film if you are familiar with the time and paranoia of the period", 

and I have to say such powerful performances from all concerned

I followed that with Robin Hood, the 2018 version, a great far fetched but enjoyable romp through a part of Good Ole Merry England, during which Diana arrived home from work, so a coffee and a chat it was, after which it was a Lewis before we were off to bed.


No comments: