Sunday 11 February 2024

I Have To Admit,

I know very little about dragons, so as it is the year of the dragon, time to find out more, 


above Chen Rong, The Nine Dragons (Detail), c.1244 CE, Ink on Paper, 46.3 x 1096.4 cm, Boston Museum of Fine Art, and when I need a quick read about something, the Internet is my friend, I found this really interesting and informative article about them by Michael Pearce,

from the article:

‘Chinese dragons are ancient. As early as 206 BC, images of the beast were important symbols during rituals performed to guarantee good harvests. All dragons were vain, and some of their characteristics were doubtlessly negative, for decline and fall followed when dragons were confined – only free dragons brought the rain and sowed the seed of fertile prosperity. Creating flattering images of dragons and making offerings to them summoned the beasts and brought rain and thus prosperity’,

so grab a coffee and hopefully you will b as amazed as I was reading it, if you really want to see what a live dragon looks like, here is one that I videoed in Singapore, 

it is a Leafy Seadragon, (Phycodurus Eques), the clip will be in a new series of videos I will be starting on in the next few weeks and be posting them on the blog, Happy New Year of the Dragon!


No comments: