Wednesday, 16 September 2026

I Dropped Diana Off At Work At 03.50AM

this morning, 


just after midday I was out, passing the crows that mug me for peanuts as usual, 

and past the snail mail box, out of the park and to the number 54 and 354 bus stop, where I meet Diana from work on the 354, we were soon on a number 54 bus, 

passing Lewisham market, 

which had been partially relocated, 

due to this being built where a part of the old market was, 

we alighted at Blackheath station, the sign still here, but it looked much better when it was painted blue with white letters,

no Oliver Bonas today, 

a quick look, 

at the fruit and vegetable shop, 

we were hoping for some cob nuts and although a tad early chestnuts,

but alas none in stock, 

but they did have a good selection of ornamental gourds

up the hill and past The Crown, 

and bookshop on the corner, 

we made our way past the church,

and over the heath,

as we neared Greenwich Park I threw a few peanuts on to the grass, 

in seconds, 

the crows appeared from nowhere, 

from all directions,

they kept a distance between myself and them,

in no time there must have been 20 or so, 

as even more arrived, 

and brought some of their seagull friends along as well,

by now I was getting low on nuts, 

so we carried on walking, past the ice cream van,

and into the park, 

the autumn leaves now starting to show their colours, 

some work going on near the café, 

looking back towards the entrance we came through, 

into,


latte coffees for both of us and a cake for Diana,

next the observation point, at this point in the blog I always say, "Ancient and Modern",

a quick pose, 

and then in the distance, 

a huge cruise ship, 

looking to the right, the O2 and the old power station,

then in the distance, 

the unmistakable sound of a Chinook helicopter, passing us by,

as we made our way downhill, a quick pose,  

at the bottom of the hill the Greenwich Tavern,

we were soon in the town and into Nelson Arcade,

which leads to the market, 

not so many stalls here during the week, 

but on Friday, Saturday and Sundays it is full of stalls,

these flowers looked so nice, 

a quick pose, 

as we continued to look around, 

next past the Cutty Sark

I hate to say it, but it was starting to look a bit stormy, new for the area, 

a garden was being laid, and of course to get over the hose pipe ban, like Beckenham Place Park, the hoses will be buried, so no problems with Greenwich or Lewisham council fining itself!

and today totally ignoring the ban, 

the plants were watered in, 

it should all look very nice when finished, I just hope the local vandals leave it all alone, 

we made our way to look at the cruise ship, 

a quick pose, 

and there she is, from the Viking Line, 

cannon, Diana and ship, 

it seems strange to think those on board spent a fortune to be here, for us the price of a bus ticket, well free for me as I have a OAP bus pass, 

looking down river towards the O2,

back into town, 

and past the local fish & chip shop, of course the woke, upset at everything they can think of brigade, raised huge objections to the name, luckily unlike the objectors, the owner was not mentally deranged and kept the name, 

on to a 199 bus and a change onto a number 54 and we were soon home, on the way back we picked up a kebab, it saved Diana who has had a long day from cooking, after which it was feet up for a couple of films, although we had watched it before, firstly, 

Sgt, Bilko, as I mentioned we had watched it before, here is what I wrote then:

"I watched Steve Martin in Sgt. Bilko, I liked the original series, I first started watching it with dad aged 7 in 1957, I have to admit I asked dad frequently what was happening, but dad enjoyed it so much and I liked watching it with him, back to the film, it is so funny, in truth I can not think of a better actor to have played this role in the film as Steve Martin, but it was not plain sailing for the film, from the article:

"According to Spy Culture, the makers of Sgt. Bilko similarly asked the U.S. Army for “access to an Army base and other support for the film.” But the “entertainment liaison” took a look at the script and deemed it to be totally unacceptable. As one memo noted, “The hero was a crook and the ‘bad guys’ were officers.” They also objected to the movie’s “antiquated” portrayal of the military, which they claimed was “incompatible with the film’s present day setting.”"

which lead to this end of film credit: 

“The filmmakers gratefully acknowledge the total lack of cooperation from the United States Army.”

but in any event we both totally enjoyed watching the film again, we followed that with, 

 Bootmen, charmer Sean Okden gave up tap-dancing when he started working in the steel mill, I wonder why? he then decides to start his own tap-dance group wearing hardhats, which he soon gives an original edge when the steel mill inspires him to weld metal on their shoes and dance on industrial steel, so it the metallic acoustics fit well with a local rock group, after many trials and tribulations his group put on a show to great acclaim, think Fred Astaire with a hard hat, after which we started to watch a Bangers & Cash, but Diana had such a long day starting just after 03.00AM when we woke up, she was off to bed before it finished, for my self I saw the end of it before I too was off to bed.


No comments: