Monday 22 January 2024

In My Days Working In The Print,

as an apprentice, in one part of the building there was a book bindery, 


which I was reminded of when I watched this video by educator, author, and book restorer Sophia Bogle,

each of the guys in the bindery had their own bone folder like the one above,

the work was painstaking, in the last 30 years, Bogle has restored thousands of books. Referring to some stages of reconstruction as “book surgery,”

she also signs each spine’s interior nearing the moments of denouement, she leaves her mark within each project in a seemingly invisible way, “I do love the fact that there’s the story in the book, there’s the story of the restoration of the book, there’s the story of who has owned the book, and now I’m just in there a little bit more.”

so if you have time grab a coffee and hopefully you will enjoy the video as much as I did, you can also watch the video by WIRED, and check out her YouTube channel for a closer look at her techniques.


No comments: