Wednesday 10 January 2024

The Big Day Of The Year,

that I normally forget is here,


our wedding anniversary, back in 2016 in the Philippines we were married, and today a anniversary card, we would go out for a meal, but tonight Diana is working, so we will pop out later in the week, after Diana left for work, it was time for me to start playing,

a box had arrived for me, so a plastic sheet over the table, a very important step as it turned out,

inside the box from Hampshire Carnivorous Plants ltd. that had arrived,
 
 some seeds, a piece of capillary matt,

soil, and some Venus fly trap seeds, I thought I would grow some from seed as a long term project, I had also ordered some seeds from other supplies, when I grew some fly traps from seed when we were living in Thailand way back in 2014, there was not a huge success rate of plants from seeds, which is why I bought some from other suppliers, to hopefully achieve a few viable plants to repot and grow on,

first cut the mat,

to fit the water tray,

add soil,

level off, 

and spray, with RO water, fly traps do not do well with normal tap water, distilled, RO or rain water is de rigueur for fly traps,

naturally when I lifted the tray I had over watered, good job I put a plastic sheet on the table!

I forgot about the carpet, this is why I do this sort of thing when Diana is out of the house, she would be appalled at the mess, 

and what ever you do, do not mention the carpet!

I opened the seeds from Hampshire Carnivorous Plants ltd.

if you have not seen the seeds of fly traps they are small,

a biro for a comparison, 

earlier you may have seen toothpicks, this is what I use them for, picking up a individual seed to place it in the soil where I want it,

next a pack from Little Shop of Horrors, AKA South West Carnivorous Plants,

next a huge selection of seeds from CZPlants, there had a list of named varieties, so I choose a few, each in its own labelled package,
 
so out with the tooth pick again,

I used one in the tray, so I did not loose track of which row I was planting,

a couple of packets from Sprouting Tiger,  

and after what seem like an age, and was in fact an age all were planted,

on to the window sill, and fill the tray with water,

cover, and job done!, just keep the water in the tray topped up and come back in a month to see if any have germinated, next a couple of quiz shows before my evening meal, after which a BattleBots and a film for the evening, 

Black Adam, I have to say I am not really into the newest super heroes, there is no denying the special effects were great, but after a hour or so I was hoping the film was going to end soon, the characters seemed so lack lustre, something was not quite right about the whole thing, but there it is, it must be me, after the film Diana arrived home, 

so a coffee and a chat before another episode of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, directed by Guy Ritchie, a real treat to watch, at this stage I should say I am only making one post today, as I am off to visit Duncan, and with that we were off to bed.


No comments: