Monday 19 August 2024

Regular Readers Will Know,

I like Japanese wood block prints, 


known as 'ukiyo-e', these are hugely popular woodblock prints that depict everyday life in Japan during the Edo period, but I have to admit I was rather taken with these modern day prints, these are all the work of Masahiko Minami, born in 1968, who works with charcoal and graphite,

Minami comments, “what we cannot see is hidden in the depth of the water… our vanity and feelings are reflected on its surface.” He states, “I do my artwork with the prayer that peace comes to the mind of each restless traveler reflecting upon the mystery of water.”

the artist Minami is the winner of the 6th annual RGO Artist-in-Residence program which provides the opportunity for Japanese visual artists to live, work and exhibit in New York City,

for myself they seem so simple, but there is something almost mystical about them that draws me to them, some of Minami’s work is available for purchase at Ronin Gallery. You can also keep up with the artist on Instagram, not to everyone's taste, but as I mentioned I do like them.


No comments: