Saturday 7 January 2017

Many Years Ago,

I worked in a printing company,


 in fact I was an Indentured Apprentice, and in the company there was a book bindery,

 and in it a small marbling section, 


you may have seen marbling on the edges of old books,

 and sometimes on the inside endcover and flyleaf pages,

 the colours are dropped onto a tray containing water,


and using combs or different inks patterns can be formed, the paper, fabric or whatever is to be marbled is placed on the ink and the item is lifted off to dry,

for me it was and still is a fascinating thing to watch,

so if you have time two mugs of coffee here is a film produced by the Bedfordshire County Council and posted online by the Bedfordshire and Luton Archives of a paper marbling studio from the 1970s, this takes me back to my youth!


No comments: