Tuesday 10 November 2020

It Seems So Strange,

that kids today,


have to imagine what it was like having to push physical buttons, not figures on a touchscreen, or to even, heaven forbid, to dial a phone number, as I do almost daily on my 162 BT telephone, as it happens the 162 does not come with a bell, so BT in the day supplied a number 26 bell case to fit any of the 100/200 series telephones, which is what is fitted to the underside of mine, 

I have the one with the pull-out drawer, made in 1956 and still going strong, I wonder how many mobile telephones made today will still be used in 60+ years time?

which brings me onto mention of mobile telephones that Sehabettin Ozcelik, a phone repairman from Turkey, has, an outdated number of cell phones that consists of over 1,000 models, including classics like the Nokia 3310 or Motorola Razr V3, he keeps his prized collection in his house, the collection would have been larger, he used have almost 2,000 different phones, but burglars broke into his home a couple of years ago and relieved him of over 700 handhelds,

“I started doing this job because of my interest in cell phones. One day, I decided to start a collection, thinking they would be outdated soon. All phones in my collection still work, but they are no longer manufactured,” Ozcelik told Turkish news agency Anadolu, Ozcelik started collecting outdated cell phones about 20 years ago, and is very fond of his technological artefacts, despite getting offers for some of his rarest models, he wouldn’t part with any of them, 

 

 “They are all rare models and very valuable. Some buyers approached me and wanted to buy some, but I did not sell. It is a difficult job to keep them maintained, but I want to keep them in the best condition as much as I can,” the proud collector said, amazing that they all still work, so you never know, some of todays mobile telephones could still be around, working and in use in 2080!


No comments: