Monday 26 October 2020

Some Time Ago,

in August this year as it happens,


I went to Brompton Cemetery, taking photographs of various statues and headstones, many of which had symbols on them, the meanings of which have been lost over time, so it was with some interest when I found this article, it looks at 11 different symbols and their possible meanings, of course some are obvious: tombstones for children are engraved with angels or lambs, and crosses, stars, and crescents denote the deceased's religious faith,

but there are many symbols that aren't so easily interpreted, the symbols in this list mostly say "it could mean" and "it could also mean" because, while there is traditional symbolism passed down over the years, many tombstones have symbols because those who paid for the stone just liked them, for a much fuller alphabetical list, have a look here, I know that going around graveyards is not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy going around ruins and graveyards taking photographs as I go, and next time I must look closer for some of the hidden symbols in them.


No comments: