Thursday 7 April 2022

Up And Out,

just as I left home,


the drizzle started,

the sky was grey and overcast,

as I walked near to the park entrance the drizzle turned to rain,

over the road bridge to the station,

ticket purchased, back over the road bridge to the track going to Bromley,

the roof of the bridge showing no signs of being repaired,

I meet Alan at Sevenoaks station and he kindly gave me a lift to the nursing home where Duncan stays, we had a half an hour slot, but we chatted away for well over an hour before we said our goodbyes,

making my way to the station I could not help but notice this flower bed,

the daffodils putting on a good show,

as well as other plants,

the bed well maintained,

by the local council, I decided on a slightly different route on the way home, 

and stayed on the train until I reached Beckenham Hill station, and, you guessed it,

by the time I reached the park gates it had started to rain,

so hood up as I made my way through the park,

the daffodils looking nice,

these beds obviously planted by the council,

and nice they looked too, as it happens there are small clumps of daffodils all around this area as well as the big beds, at least Sevenoaks and Lewisham councils are not as bonkers as St Blaise Town Council, which covers the town of St Blazey, near St Austell, in Cornwall who have banned daffodils on Heath & Safety grounds, although as far as I can find out nobody has ever died of eating daffodils, the council has banned them, and why? because children could eat them! which begs the question what other flowers, bushes and vines could children eat that could harm them? taken to its conclusion what a miserable place a town with no flowers must be to visit,

more and more cars are parking on the verges in the park, rather than use the car park provided, 

and now I know why, not only do you have to know the technical specifications of your car to buy a ticket, it could also, depending on your car, cost you up to £30.00 a day to park it,

I made my way past the café,

no queues today in the courtyard,

I started downhill past the mansion,

rain splattering the lens as I went through the locked gates stopping cars from entering from this end of the park,

past the snail mail box,

turn left and home,

in the evening a read and a sherry,

followed by a cheese and tomato sandwich, I spent most of the evening reading and with Enrico Caruso, what a voice he truly has, when Diana arrived home there was a treat on the television, two episodes of New Tricks back to back, I am only making one post today and it is a bit late, as I had a few things to do and a friend who I have not spoken to for a long time, called from the Far East, so we had a very long chat! back to Wednesday, after the double New Tricks we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley & Diana-nice you can take time to visit Duncan. I am sure your visits cheer him up a lot as most in those situations are lonely. We find your story about government posted auto parking rates for the park as comical…actually a real joke!!! Question-where do all the general taxes go that you pay? Bet they were originally set up to take care of all these types of things like park parking lots, government owned places that used to be free to visit, etc. Now the citizens are still paying💰💰💰those original taxes but the “FreeParking” signs have been removed and replaced with complex bureaucratic parking rate matrixes. Key question-where did all the money go originally collected??? As you say, another nice earner for the local government. I bet you still see a parking problem on the verges this summer. With inflation on energy, food etc the public is at the breaking point so something will have to give in the near future. Not enough money, too many taxes and expenses to cover…what next???
Regards
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, I have no idea where the money goes, but jobs in local councils are like gold dust, you never hear of any vacancies! as you say things are only going to get worse, just today I heard that diesel was now £1.99 a liter! I guess it is a way to make everybody walk! best regards, Stan and Diana.