Thursday 15 December 2016

When I Saw These Pictures,

I was intrigued,


 how were these trails of light produced?

 they are not added after the picture was taken,

 they appear like magic, 

this one taken at Christo and Jeanne-Claude’s Floating Piers this summer in Italy and in it the clue, it is of course a timed exposure, which is why some of the people in background are blurred as they move,

 and this is how the pictures were made, Stephen Orlando captures traces of movement through time, securing LED lights to rowing paddles on a kayak, he comments, 'I’m fascinated with capturing motion through time and space into a single photograph. Using LED lights with custom colour patterns and long exposure photography, I’m able to tell the story of movement. This technique reveals beautiful light trails created by paths of familiar objects. These light trails have not been artificially created with Photoshop and represent the actual paths of the objects, My photos focus on motions in nature and in urban landscapes, as well as human movement. I am inspired by the works and pioneering techniques of Étienne-Jules Marey, Anton Giulio Bragaglia, Gjon Mili, and Frank Gilbreth. The large outdoor installations of Christo and Jeanne-Claude also inspire me',


 he has also made similar photographs using a paddle-board with a longer paddle, also violin and cello bows and sports equipment, his gallery is impressive indeed, You can also see more of Orlando’s time-based light experiments and follow him on his Instagram and Facebook pages, and no I am not on commission, I was just fascinated when I saw the photographs and trying to understand how they were produced.


No comments: