Saturday 19 March 2022

Another Day Of Just One Post,

yet again I took too many photographs!


the day started out with me looking at the job the gardeners had made of trimming the leylandii hedge,

another few hours and it should be finished,

it was Diana's day off, 

so we were out under the clear blue skies to Beckenham Junction,

we both had a coffee each, Diana had a slice of cake, and a croissant for myself, one difference we did notice from last week when we had a coffee was how much the price of the latte coffee had risen, from £2.00 to £2.60 quite a jump, but there it is, nothing stays the same forever, 

our train soon arrived,

then Diana had a bit of a mishap, twice, whilst trying to juggle her coffee, handbag, cake and telephone the coffee slipped over in her lap, as I mentioned, twice, Diana spent the rest of the day covering the wet patch on her jeans with her handbag, oh dear,

we made our way past the sweet stall at Victoria station, and caught the district underground line to Whitechapel,

and here we were, 

the new bi-lingual sign,

just three days ago I read this,

we were going to two markets, this one at Whitechapel started as soon as we walked outside of the station,

cloths stalls everywhere,

as well as fresh fruit and vegetables,

it was like the street market in Lewisham we had been to before,

in the distance the familiar pineapple building,

the market is on the pavement, as I mentioned just like Lewisham,

a quick pose from Diana outside of, you guessed it, a brewery! the site of  Mann, Crossman & Paulin, one of the two lost breweries in the area,

having been to the far end of the market we walked back past the stations new sign,

lots more stalls but unfortunately selling the same type of goods, the sideroads with shops as well,

we made our way along Brick Lane, I took this photograph with my pocket camera,

but I have to say it looks so much better when taken on Diana's telephone,

many of the shops here,

have attractive artworks on them,

I found this shop a little strange selling Italian and Korean fusion, not a mix that springs to mind, but there it is,

a wall of posters, I guess this shop has been closed for some time!

we continued our walk,

we were headed for Spitalfields market,

and here it was,

I had to have a pose, also it was so hot I took off my coat, it spent the rest of the day in the carrier bag,

the sign above the entrance,

inside we went,

the first shop we stopped at,

Diana was spoilt for choice,

as far as Chanel was concerned,

I have to say the market was huge,

and with so many different articles for sale,

I liked these candles that really did look like the real thing,

a slightly different take on the red telephone box,

inside, lots of flowers,

the market was nicely laid out,

and as many other attractions we have visited, Citron vans that have been converted to sell food and drinks,

a hat anybody?

there were so many craft stalls,

and if you are into feathers,

this is the stall for you!

more hats, but I seldom see people wearing them,

a quick pose from me,

by one of the many cloths stalls,

Diana was spoilt for choice,

we had seen these a few times before in Greenwich market,

paper pop up cards,

look out, handbag stall ahead!

scarfs next,

followed by cushion covers,

jewelry as well,

there were lots of places to eat, but as it was still early not many customers,

I mentioned repurposed Citroen vans before,

well here are a few more,

it seems that a Citroen van is de rigueur if you sell food and dinks,

but here is a slight change,

a three wheeler food stall,

a couple of poses from Diana,

as we continued at looking at the stalls,

I still could not get over how big the market was,

almost everything was here,

back past the hat stall,

and cloths stalls,

I had to stop here, 

in the music section,

there are so many groups that I have never listened to, 

but paying several pounds for a CD only to find I do not like it,

seems like a bit of a waste

but going to places like this where CDs can be bought for a pound or two seems a good idea,

there are so many stalls, but they are divided into two, some charge £5.00 to £8.00 each, I left those alone!

I went to the stalls where the CDs are just £1.00 each,

and as it happens,

there are a few stalls where the CDs are 3 for £1.00!

I bought 8, bargain!

we decided to make a move and find somewhere to eat,

it was well into lunch time and the place was packed with diners,

so we had a look outside, but the pubs and restaurants were just as busy, we decided to go back to Beckenham and have a late lunch/early evening meal there,

this brought back childhood memories, Petticoat Lane Market, I used to love going there in the 1950s, it was then packed with all manner of pets,

we walked to Aldgate East tube station,

down the steps,

soon arriving at Victoria,

and then Beckenham, past the church,

and into Miso

a quick pose from both of us,

and one from Diana,

for a change of pace, a white wine,

'Cheers!',

for Diana roast pork and rice,

for myself a Malaysian chicken curry,

both of our dishes were delicious,

what a pleasant day it was,

meal finished Diana popped next door for a milk tea, I went to the post office for some snail mail stamps,

and then to pick up my prescription at Boots the chemist,

walking back to Miso that is next door to the Xentro Kitchen I could see in the reflection Diana was already outside waiting,

with her milk tea,

up the hill,

and past the church,

the magnolia putting on a good show,

in the churchyard,

the small blue flowers,

looking nice in amongst the daffodils,

we were still blessed with blue skies passing the green,

and on the front and side of Foxgrove Lodge the first signs of spring,

buds appearing on the wisteria,

not far now,

it is only when you are looking for them that you realise how many magnolias there are in the district,

this one a mass of blooms,

past the snail mail box,

nearly home, 

arriving home a quick look at the CDs I had bought, surprisingly enough I never had a copy of Sergeant Peppers, but now I have! 

it was feet up in the late afternoon for a comedy, Down Periscope, it was great fun as it happens we had watched it before but was enjoyable to watch again,

after our evening meal I was out to meet Steve,

at the club where we chatted the evening away, after saying our goodbyes I was on my way home where it was one from New Tricks, after which we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Stanley and Diana-another nice day trip. Good the weather cooperated so you could remove your jacket, and dry Diana’s pants! Glad you 2 had a fun day out!
Regards
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, we did indeed have a great day out, just a shame that Diana spilt her coffee! the good news was was that it dried in no time, today (Sunday) we are going for a pre lunch walk in the park, I think it is still a bit too early but we are going to visit the part of the park that has the bluebells in it, best regards, Stan and Diana.