Friday 27 October 2023

The Problem With My Left Ear,

was not going away, 


the drops were not helping, and as it happens the pain was now getting pretty intense, much though I did not want to spend any money, as ear cleaning is not on the NHS, I made an appointment for the afternoon to have my ears cleaned and to find out if my worse fears were founded, that I did in fact have a ear infection, so a walk past Beckenham Green, 

and the graveyard, 

where these cyclamen were still putting on a good show, 

I waited at the bus stop near to the church entrance, a number 227 soon arriving,

alighting in Bromley by the market square I went to both Lloyds and Barclays to pay money and cheques in, back on to a 227 to Shortlands, 

where I went for my appointment passing the Shortlands Tavern, the clinic I used was the Clear Ear Wax Clinic, aptly named, I was seen promptly at 3.30, I explained the problem, the technician had a look and confirmed that A, my left ear had really large build up of wax and B, I did not have a ear infection, he explained that he would put in some fluid to loosen the blockage and then remove it, he warned me it would sound loud, and as I was already experiencing some pain it may hurt a tad, as it happens after what seemed no time at all, and with no discomfort, and louder than all of the other noises there was a loud 'Pop!' and I could hear perfectly again, normally the charge is £80.00 to clean both ears, but as they had a special offer on for £59.00 to clear both ears I thought I would get my right ear checked and cleaned as well, but he mentioned that there was hardly anything to remove there, I left the clinic so happy, my hearing was all back to normal, I could no longer taunt Diana by saying "what was that?", as the deaf ploy will no longer work!

I made my way to the bus stop, just in time to see my bus disappear under the bridge, 

another soon arrived, so a walk back past the rear graveyard,

and part of the church,

through the green,

and past Foxgrove Lodge and home, Diana had already arrived home, so a coffee and a chat, after our evening meal there was no BattleBots, as a dart championship was playing but there was a program on terrestrial television we wanted to watch, 

photograph Channel 4, Big Names Little Trains episode 2, this week featuring Eddie Izzard, there were 2 stories in the program this week, firstly Eddie's 2 train layouts at Bexhill-on -Sea, and secondly the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway, both of which we had visited, 

in Bexhill the first layout was the Izzard family railway,

and then the 1940 Bexhill winter railway,

which as you can see was huge, we visited Bexhill in August 2021

a long time before that in September 2010 we visited Dymchurch with Duncan and his family,

and took one of the trains, which are a lot bigger!

you can read about the history of the 15" gauge worlds famous one-third full size steam & diesel locomotives, that are used on the 13½ miles of track from the Cinque Port town of Hythe, terminating in Dungeness here, and a fascinating history it is too, after Big Names it was a Midsomer Murder before we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley and Diana
Ear wax!! Yes, I suffer the same issue, so Alley went to Amazon and purchased a $5 set of Asian Ear Cleaning tools. She uses the tools each month and removes any wax buildup before my hearing is blocked. Very safe, very effective. When we visit Vietnam, most have their ears cleaned at the barber shop when they get a hair cut. They use the same set of tools and shine a bright light in your ear and extract all the buildup. I believe dust and street pollution there really contributes to plugged ears. Anyway we are glad you got you ears back in working order and can hear again!!!!
Regards
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, I occasionally use a cotton bud, but this is the first time the wax has built up so badly, as it happens I have seen street barbers in Vietnam, Cambodia and India all practising ear cleaning, I have a theory, as I got older I lost head hair and teeth, but, in getting older grow more ear and nostril hair and wax! well that is my theory, best regards, Stan and Diana.