Tuesday 17 October 2023

Diana Was On Early Shift,

but when she arrived home,


we decided on a drive out, I should say as there are so many photographs, I am only making one post today,

we drove to Keston Ponds on the common,

after a quick photograph, 

down the steps,


which flows into the top, middle and bottom ponds here at Keston before the overflow becomes the River Ravensbourne, 

a look across the top pond,

some reeds in the centre,

almost impossible to see, 

but when I zoomed in, the gold colour of a ornamental fish in the centre of the photograph that had been release into the pond,

a slight kerfuffle as some waterfowl have a spat,

we walked along the side of the top pond,

looking back to Diana,

at the end of the lake a fisherman, complete with his bivouac, there were a number of fishermen around both lakes, all complete with little stoves for a fry up and making tea,

looking across the top lake,

the steps leading down to the middle lake,

a quick pose from yours truly, we were both well wrapped up, early this morning there was the first frost of winter,

the middle lake,

Diana took things carefully, it was steep and muddy,

we arrived at the middle lake,

where Diana threw some peanuts,

to a group of coots,

we stopped, 

in the distance another 2 bivouacs, 

looking across the lake,

2 more fishermen,

one more from myself,

and one from Diana,

the holly bush here, 

leaden with berries, if my grandmother is to be believed that means a cold winter ahead,

Diana looking across the lake,

the view from the road that separates the middle and bottom lakes,

under the trees, 

Diana found these,

chestnuts,

we will be roasting tonight!

we continued walking along the road,

looking towards the road,

and towards the top lake, we did not go to the bottom lake,

a coot, 

preening itself and putting a claim to next years nesting site,

by the steps,

a mushroom, edible or not? I have no idea,

we were moving towards Caesar's well,

looking back towards the fisherman on the top lake, 

we then made a move for Polhill Garden Centre,

and promptly got lost!

I thought I knew the way,

apparently not, it appears!

if we want a cream tea next summer I must remember to get lost again, this looks so quant,

continuing on country roads, 

we called on satnav, after several miles we arrived,

at Polhill Garden Centre, car parked time for a bite to eat,

seafood of course,

and what a selection,

Diana went for these, 

crayfish tails,

a portion of cockles for myself, 

next inside, 

past this rather impressive pot of succulents,

past the waterfall,

then joy of joys, both chestnuts and hob nuts in stock,

on the other side of the display some very bright Christmas poinsettia,

and then our luck got even better, my favourite almond macarons were in stock, 2 packs to go and a pack of jam doughnuts for Diana,

as we walked into the plant display area, insectivorous plants for sale,

and a number of very large cactus were on offer,

as well as smaller ones,

as the door opened to the outdoor section we were greeted with this huge ball of chrysanthemums, 

as well as ornamental cabbages, 

which seem to be getting popular,

I soon found the ball chrysanthemums,

take your pick, they were all £11.99 each,

a quick look at the mental grasses,

it is a long story, when we first moved to the UK we passed a restaurant that had displays of ornamental grasses in window boxes outside, Diana asked me what they were, I replied 'ornamental grasses' Diana miss heard me, and for years thought that grasses like this were mental grasses!

small pines like these,

always remind me of bonsai,

next we were back inside, 

entering the Christmas decoration area,

I have to say it, Christmas is my favourite time of the year, 

not only the days of Christmas,

but the lead up to it, visiting places like this,

all set for the Polar Express!

loaded down with Christmas decorations,

a pose by the toy soldiers,

time for a late lunch,

coffee and a biscuit, 

a toasted ham and cheese sandwich for Diana,

 a BLT for myself with crisps that were included in the meal,

all set, tuck in! the meal came to £20.90,

there are 2 places to eat here, one at the entrance to the building, which is just a coffee shop, and this restaurant at the rear of the building,

we started looking at the decorations, 

and the trees,

Christmas has really begun here, 

our first Christmas purchase of the year, crackers!

we were so tempted by so many other bangles and baubles to hang on our tree,

like these,

gingerbread houses,

or for a change green and gold?

as it happens we have so many ornaments in red and gold we will stick with those, I just hope the lights on the tree work again this year with no problems,

Diana asked if they had any big baubles for the tree,

and they had, 

I spotted these, 

a robin with red berries, just right for our front door garland and tree, 

we then entered a room,

with the most fantastical,

Christmas village we have ever seen,

both Diana and myself were totally captivated by the village, 

beside the display, 

all of the components that made the village,

most illuminated, and many actually had moving parts like skaters or rides that rotated,

I had to have another look and made a video of the display that I will post, 

it was a child's delight,

 I just loved it!

next a walk through a lighted display,

Ta-Dah!

we found ourselves in the section,

that sold illuminated Christmas decorations,

like this archway,

we made a move to the exit, past a couple of rather imposing palms,

and orchids,

into the car and we were off home,

this is the video of the Christmas Village, the more I look, the more things I find that are moving, for myself it is worth driving to Polhill just to look at this magical kingdom, a wonderful, fantastical, magical winter wonderland, arriving home we watched a quiz show before our evening meal, after which it was the last episode of Endeavour, during which we tried both the chestnuts we had found and the shop bought ones, but I have to say we were both disappointed, most of them were bad, the problem being it would cost as much in fuel to go and get a refund, as Diana was tired from the mornings early start, and has another early shift tomorrow she was off to bed, for myself I watched a film I had not watched for some time, 

 Pan's Labyrinth, these are my comments the first time I watched it, "I bought it on Blu-Ray a long time ago, just never got around to watching it, I guessed it was a kids sort of thing, boy was I wrong! OK it had mythical creatures with two or three fairies helping the young heroine along, but gory, cruel and torture thrown into the mix, it takes place during the Spanish uprising at the end of the Second World war, at an outpost, it is held by troops fighting the insurgents, it is enough to say that Mercy's face had fled, a well crafted and memorable movie, an adults fairy tale, also if you are tempted to buy it (and I am glad I did), it is in Spanish but with English subtitles", after which I too was off to bed.


No comments: