Friday 7 October 2022

I Am Guessing As It Is Getting Colder,

the crows will be calling in more frequently,


they called several times yesterday, so I made this short video, is it the same greedy crow that calls back every time or three different ones? I should mention that I will only be making this one post today, first thing tomorrow I will be out early on my way to Bromley to give a blood sample, I am a part of the NHS Galleri Trial, I am one of the140,000 volunteers age 50 to 77 who have registered to take part in the trial, the Galleri® is a new blood test that can detect signs of many different types of cancer in a sample of a person’s blood, the aim of the trial is to see if using the Galleri test alongside existing cancer screening can help to find cancer early when it is usually easier to treat, all it means is that once a year I have to give a blood sample and answer a number of questions about my lifestyle, so out early on Friday,

back to Thursday, after my usual start to the morning, posting the blog, exercises, breakfast, shower and a coffee I was out for my fourth covid inoculation, so to Peter the chemist it was then, I started towards Westgate Road,

on the way I noticed a huge fungi at the base of one of the trees,

when I say huge this piece was over two feet across,

as I walked around it,

some new growth was coming through,

it looked like two different specie, the ones on the left looking different from the others, where is a mycologist when you need one? as it happens I think the three on the left are known as the beefsteak fungus, (Fistulina hepatica), but I would want a second opinion before it became my breakfast!


a few trees further down,

I spotted this one,

looking totally different from the previous ones,

and on another stump,

this one, it must be the time of year for fungi, but strangely enough, if that is the case where are the ones that normally grow in our communal back garden?

this was nice someone had planted a few small cyclamen,

that gave a nice splash of colour in the verge,

the car park where the road becomes Westgate Road as I turned right,

this part of the road here in the winter is normally a quagmire, today just a few puddles,

I have always liked this lodge, called Beckenham Place Park Lodge, and is one of a few in the park,

I continued on Westgate Road, over Foxgrove Road,

and The Avenue,

and the narrow railway bridge,

which has no been made a one-way bridge for vehicles,

at the top of the hill, and down,

to The Chancery public house,

and here I was at Peters Pharmacy, I had an appointment and joined the queue, just four people in front of me, in no time there was a chap in with the doctor, so it was me next, and then, you guessed it, the computer says no!, it had crashed so no more injections, what is it with me and electrics? the news was not good, there had been no problems until now, and unless the doctor could reboot it that would be it for the day, all the 15 or so of us could do was wait, after what seemed an age good news, the computer was up and running, so into the cubical, shirt sleeve rolled up, an injection and I was on my way home, all free on the NHS, 

up the hill, and down the other side,

towards the park,

as I mentioned the narrow bridge is one way,

previously as the bridge is so steep the number of cars that would meet head on, with one driver having to reverse back had to be seen to be believed,

over the bridge, in the distance the small park car park,

this is the unmade up part of Westgate Road, in the summer this becomes a dust bowl,

which is something I would not like if I lived in Beckenham Place Park Lodge, nice though the lodge is,

and this is the part that becomes a mud bath when it rains,

turn left and I am on the home straight,

I missed these on the way out,

another small area of mini cyclamen, 

and nice they looked too, Diana had already arrived home, so it was feet up for some afternoon television, including a couple of quiz shows before our evening meal, after which one from Are You Being Served? a Midsomer Murder and a New Tricks, before we were off to bed.


No comments: