Thursday 24 February 2022

Diana Was Home In The Morning,

so a bacon sandwich for breakfast it was then,


and a mug of tea,

for herself it was strawberries and cream, on waffles with maple syrup,

Steve was picking me up this morning, so I started walking towards the flowering cherry trees,

we were going to Polhill Garden Center,

in Steve's new car,

a BMW X2, and nice it was too,

we walked towards the entrance,

and passed the seafood stall,

into the center we went,

and were greeted with rows of plants,

orchids,

succulents,

lots of succulents,

cactus, 

and one of my favorite groups,

insectivorous plants,

we wandered around the water feature display,

on our way to the outdoor section,

lots to choose from, 

so many varieties,

and colours to choose from,

like these primroses,

instead of the normal yellow ones that we are all so familiar with,

it seems that every year,

plant breeders produce new varieties,

with bigger and more showy flowers,

like these,

amazing,

these were interesting, orchids that could be grown outside,

Steve bought one for his garden,

we made our way back,

towards the tills,

past the flowers in bowls, to the checkout,

and then into the seafood stall,

lots to choses from,

I decided on a pot of cockles,

I nearly went with the dressed crab, Steve kindly dropped me off home, where we had a coffee, after he left I watched a couple of quiz shows,

it was time for my read and sherry,

then cockles in vinegar with buttered bread,

'Cheers!',

next a piping hot spring vegetable soup,

eyes down and tuck in,

I rounded off the meal with some huge strawberries and cream, 
I watched an Endeavor when Diana arrived home, after a coffee and a chat we decided to watch, 

Life of Brian I am not sure how in this PC age many of the jokes will go down, like this one,

here is the transcript,

(A huge Roman amphitheatre, sparsely attended.  REG, FRANCIS, STAN and JUDITH

 are seated in the stands.  They speak conspiratorially.)

 

Judith:  Any Anti-Imperialist group like ours must *reflect* such a

         divergence of interests within its power-base.

Reg:     Agreed.

         (General nodding.)

         Francis?

Francis: I think Judith's point of view is valid here, Reg, provided the

         Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every

         man--

Stan:    Or woman.

Francis: Or woman...to rid himself--

Stan:    Or herself.

Reg:     Or herself.  Agreed.  Thank you, brother.

Stan:    Or sister.

Francis: Thank you, brother.  Or sister.  Where was I?

Reg:     I thought you'd finished.

Francis: Oh, did I?  Right.

Reg:     Furthermore, it is the birthright of every man ...

Stan:    Or woman.

Reg:     Why don't you shut up about women, Stan, you're putting us off.

Stan:    Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.

Francis: Why are you always on about women, Stan?

Stan:    (pause) I want to be one.

 

(pregnant pause)

 

Reg:    What?

Stan:   I want to be a woman.  From now on I want you all to call me Loretta.

Reg:    What!?

Stan:   It's my right as a man.

Judith: Why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?

Stan:   I want to have babies.

Reg:    You want to have babies?!?!?!

Stan:   It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

Reg:    But you can't have babies.

Stan:   Don't you oppress me.

Reg:    I'm not oppressing you, Stan -- you haven't got a womb.  Where's the

        fetus going to gestate?  You going to keep it in a box?

(Stan starts crying.)

Judith:  Here!  I've got an idea.  Suppose you agree that he can't actually

         have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the

         Romans', but that he can have the *right* to have babies.

Francis: Good idea, Judith.  We shall fight the oppressors for your right to

         have babies, brother.  Sister, sorry.

Reg:     (pissed)  What's the *point*?

Francis:  What?

Reg:      What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies, when he

          can't have babies?

Francis:  It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

Reg:      It's symbolic of his struggle against reality.


I can imagine a few groups getting a bit hot under the collar about that one of many scenes in the film, but what a great film it is, we both thoroughly enjoyed watching it again, after which we were off to bed.



No comments: