Wednesday 16 February 2022

I Am Only Making One Post Today,

as my laptop has thrown a hissy fit when I started editing the video, 


and it took forever just to string a few scenes together, and also as soon as I have posted it, I will be leaving to catch a couple of trains to see Duncan as restrictions have been lifted, which now means that friends can visit the nursing home, so here goes for today's post, Diana was on late shift today,

so I accompanied her through a wet and rainy park, 

past the sports car at the entrance,

to the bus stop where I left her to wait for the bus to work,

I bimbled my way around the corner,

to St. George's church hall,

for the open day,


what a treat, center stage this huge layout,

I started here at the 'O' gauge railway,

the railway passing,

a dockyard, for a little more on gauge sizes, have a look here,


 this layout which is OO I believe, was huge,

this is a work in progress, what makes all of these types of shows so difficult is that they must all come apart for traveling, but when rejoined must still make contact between each section, it was difficult enough with our layout in Thailand, and it never went anywhere!

and unlike the set we had in Thailand on this layout the lights work on the diesel trains, and the engines make the sound you would expect from a diesel locomotive,

the layout spanned the hall, in fact you had to go outside and then back indoors to get to the other side of it!

the marshalling yard, huge,

then a blast from the past, a vintage three rail O gauge, 

the sort of layout my grandfather would have had,

a nice selection of engines,

it was fascinating,

watching them still working after so many years, I wonder if the manufacturer who was making these at the time ever thought they would last until 2022, and beyond?

past the marshaling yard again,

another look at the work in progress of the big layout,


I thought this was neat, a working Ferris wheel made of Meccano,

there were a few items for sale,

and here a three rail OO that my father would have had, 

this is another work in progress,

not a loop but a diorama of a station,

still in its early stages,

looking across the hall,

I have to say it, if I ever started modeling trains again, 

this would be the gauge/scale N gauge that I would use, it tales a lot less room than OO, this is the drawing that the gentleman building the layout is working to,

it looks great in the drawing, 

and I am sure it will look stunning when finished,

unlike the layout I made in Thailand, here cork is used as a base, I used expanded polystyrene,

another look across the hall,

I put together this little video, the problem being as we walked out of the park I realised I had taken the pocket camera with me, not the Lumix or the Sony, but there it is, the music is Honky Tonk Train Blues by Meade "Lux" Lewis, the trains do not appears in any order regarding the gauge/scale,

 and if any model railway enthusiasts are reading this, above is a video of the layout I made in Thailand, trees made by my wife Diana, what a wonderful way to spend some time looking at the layouts in the hall, if you are interested in model railways the next exhibition will be the Vintage Model Railway Show 2022, Saturday 2nd April 2022 10am - 5pm at St John's Church, Eden Park Avenue, Beckenham, Kent BR3 3JN. for more details, have a look here,


next for myself, shopping for a few bits and pieces in the Co-Op then home through the rain, where it was feet up for a coffee, and a few quiz shows, after my evening meal, Diana arrived home and we watched a Midsomer Murder, 

followed by Centurion, a enjoyable movie that seemed to portray Roman legions fairly accurately, we had actually watched the film before a couple of years ago, after which we were off to bed.


1 comment:

DeePee said...

Great Blog, thanks for coming to our open day.
Come along and join us on Thursday evenings at the same venue.