Saturday 15 April 2023

Today Was A Special Day,

I was 73 years old, born on the 14th. April 1950,


Diana had been busy before her early shift,

a banner under our wedding photograph,

and on the table a cake, cards and a present,

73 today, how time had flown,

first thing it was my turn to take out the rubbish, every 8 weeks each of the residents take it in turns to put the bins out to be collected, I thought I would beat the rain, I did not! as soon as I opened the bin store it rained, upstairs after drying out I took a few photographs of some of the succulents that were flowering,

this one has flowered a few times before,

but it was a first for this one,

a long stem but it still has not opened,

when Diana returned home it was glad rags on for my birthday celebrations, so light the candles,

firstly the obvious one,

Diana had bought me a bottle of spiced rum,

I will sample that later!

next a card from Diana,

which was so nice,

with a beautiful message inside,

next one from Steve and Kai,

the card a pussy cat,

and inside a voucher,

for a meal at Miller & Carter, where it just so happens I was told Diana had booked a table a few months ago!

so blow out the candles, and we were off,

we had a cab booked for the journey,

so a couple of poses from myself,

and Diana,

looking as beautiful as ever,

inside we were shown our table,

and drinks ordered,

I low alcohol cocktail for Diana,

I am not sure what it was,

for myself a bottle of bubbly which we shared,

along side Diana's drink there was a small glass, 

of lemonade which liven things up a tad,

a couple of poses,

from Diana,

and a 'Cheers!', from myself,

a touch more before the starters,

one of the drinks,

and a 'Cheers!', from both of us,

our starters arrived, squid in a basket for Diana,

smoked salmon with onions and wheat bread for myself,

another 'Cheers!', from me,

eyes down and tuck in,

then our main course arrived,

there was so much of it, 

we both ordered the same,

two 50 day aged 5oz cuts of mignon fillet, with half a lobster tail and scallops,

sweet potato chips, boiled baby potatoes, sautéed greens, mac and cheese, onion roll, mushrooms, 2 salad wedges, one with a classic vinaigrette and one with long Clawson stilton and blue cheese, plus the sauces for the steaks, a three peppercorn and a classic béarnaise, I can not say we finished it all, but we were pretty close!

after a long break Diana ordered her dessert,

it was a Miller's mango bomb,

which was white chocolate smash bomb, mango sorbet, vanilla mousse, raspberry compote,

for myself a cocktail drink, oh the agony of choice!

I am not sure what it was called, 

but it consisted of both white Baileys and amoretto, plus a small gold dust covered cake at the top,

it really was covered in gold dust!

a try,

which was delicious,

so I had to eat the other half!

Diana said that my lips had a covering of gold, what a fabulous meal, it was perfect, many thanks indeed to Steve and Kai for their generous gift voucher and for Diana making up the difference, I will not mention the exact amount the bill came to, lets just say it was under £200, we were both so full, we arrived home by taxi,

so time to sample Diana's spiced rum,

I was fooled, it had a child proof cap,

but was soon able to pour a sample, and nice it was too, we watched A Touch of Frost, sipping at the rum and a coffee for Diana, many thanks indeed to Diana, Steve and Kai, what a wonderful day, next for us, we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley and Diana-
Happy 73rd. I am right behind you, 73rd in May. Interesting reaching this age, looking back over the 5-6 lifetimes squeezed into one. All the great experiences, friends (some already gone) and huge changes in the world since we were both babies in 1950. TV, computers, robotic healthcare, I-phones, international flights, etc. all contributing to an easier but more complex lifestyle. One key thing we both have lived through the “golden era” when the quality of lifestyle peaked…1950s-1980s. No more James Bond, muscle cars, supper clubs, Eagles, Rolling Stones, limited global population, no airport security, strong law and order, and opportunities for those who wanted to work hard and be successful. Most companies only local or regional so still offering live customer service, fast results, great products and great experiences. It has all changed, but the key is we hit the right timing to live as we were able to experience a huge scope of change after World War II for the entire world. We can benchmark everything against the golden era to evaluate if it is an improvement or a declining trend line. So it allows us to look back and really appreciate all the great experiences and places of that time. We can’t recreate the experience or places, as time has moved on and all things have changed. So we can only move forward and use those past experiences to continue building a quality standard in lifestyle forward to enjoy the most we can with the limited availability offered in today’s new world.
We are both blessed to have great, loyal and loving wives to share the last half of our lives with…far more than most men at 73. We are LUCKY.
Anyway, keep up the spirit of high standards, fun times and be very happy we lived in the best of times the world had to offer. Stay healthy and live long!
Happy 73rd Birthday Stanley!
Best Regards
John and Alley
Boerne, TX USA

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, many, many thanks for your happy thoughts, we certainly have lived in changing times like the Bob Dylan song, The Times They Are A-Changin' it might be me, but often I think back to the 60s, 70s and 80s, as you say when life was so uncomplicated, and especially for myself the 50s, growing up in South East London where the local kids had a universal playground, bomb sites, where buildings nearly levelled by the Second World War and still not rebuilt had left so much destruction, for us kids the ruins were the site of our war games, or cowboys and Indians, the guns looked real and fired explosives caps, injuries were treated with a wash, a kiss and a butter plaster, those were the days, but as a generation, for the UK I and my friends were spared the horrors of going to war, in the US the Vietnam War must have been a terrible time to live through, but here we are 73 years old, with our loving wives and in some cases life long friends, for that we must be thankful, for myself I certainly think we had the best of all times, again many thanks for your wishes, best regards, Stan and Diana.