Sunday 16 April 2023

Way Back In June 2014,

I made a post about coloured sand art,


it is here is you want to look, the reason I mention the post is that I have just seen this photograph, 

photograph travelwayoflife, it is of the hills named Cerro de los Siete Colores, the Hill of Seven Colours in English, it is located in the Andes, the colours are formed by different layers of rock, from the article:

‘The pink is caused by red clay, mud and sand and has an estimated age of 3-4 million years. The white color is limestone and is around a hundred times older, having been laid down around 400 million years ago, the browns and purples are around 90 million years old and are rich in lead and calcium carbonate The red is made up of iron rich claystones and are about 4 million years old. The really earthy brown rock is manganese rich rock composed about 2 million years ago while the mustardy yellow is sandstone with lots of sulfur in the mix, formed about 90 million years ago’,

as a result the village of Purmamarca in Argentina has its fair share of visitors, the hills are at their most vibrant during a 45 minute period just after dawn, the reason for my post is that I can find no mention of sand art for visitors to take home, with such a range of colours I would have thought there would have been a market for souvenirs, perhaps there is and I just missed it, in any event it is somewhere I would like to visit, it must be an amazing sight.



No comments: