Tuesday 16 March 2021

I Played Househusband Today,

dusting, hovering, all of the usual things,


I spent the rest of the afternoon watching a YouTube fest, I had no idea there were so many interesting bits and pieces to watch, today stationary steam enginesthe big one at Kempton Park, marbling and a few hobbies, as it happened the printing company I worked for back in the 1960s had a marbling section, as the company restored old books and had at times to provide custom marbled endpapers, also I had a chat with Alan, after my evening meal I decided to watch Gunpowder, and it was excellent, I will re-watch the first two episodes again when Diana is here, and we can then watch the whole series, which is what I said way back in November 2019, in case you do not know it, here is the nursery rhythm, of which there are many versions of the rhyme that have survived in different parts of England since the 17th century, most begin with the same or very similar words, this is the basic form:


Remember, remember, the Fifth of November
Gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot



after that there are very different verses that may be included, this one form 1870,   

 Remember, remember!   
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
 I know of no reason
 Why the Gunpowder treason
 Should ever be forgot!
 Guy Fawkes and his companions
 Did the scheme contrive


 To blow the King and Parliament
 All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.  


But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
 A stick and a stake
 For King James's sake!
    If you won't give me one,
    I'll take two,
    The better for me,
    And the worse for you.
    A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
    A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
    A pint of beer to wash it down,
    And a jolly good fire to burn him.
    Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
    Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
    Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

for a fuller view of the background to the plot, this is a good read of it, Diana called, so off to the bus stop, returning home it was feet up for a New Tricks, one from Have I Got a Bit More News for You and we were off to bed.


No comments: