Thursday 25 March 2021

On Monday I Made A Post,

about a love token,


that I found a bit spooky, it was a broach with a painting of your lovers eye on it, in a similar spooky vein I have just seen this skull watch, made in Paris in 1670 by Raymond Champenoisabove photograph, The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, who has the watch in their collection, I can not fault the watch makers craft, 
 
it is a miniature masterpiece, it is just the subject matter that I find a bit strange, unless you are a modern day Goth that is! apparently the use of a deathly image refers to the inevitable loss of time and life, which recalls the verse from Psalm 89, ‘Remember how short my time’. Recording the passage of time, and thus serving as memento mori, watches were often associated with skulls in other artforms, such as still-life vanitas paintings, or portraits, which I all find a bit spooky.


No comments: