Friday 7 July 2023

Even At School I Was A Hopeless Runner,

after a few hundred yards the pack of fellow runners would leave me in the dust,


so I have a great deal of admiration for runners especially marathon runners, but even their feats of endurance pale beside the Dead Cow Gully Backyard Masters Ultramarathon, which takes place in Australia, it is billed as a ‘race with no finish line’ by its organizers, and that makes sense because the format requires runners to complete a loop of 6.7km every hour and the race continues until only one runner remains,

this year’s event was held on a farm in Nanango, 112 miles northwest of Brisbane, Australia. The endurance race began at 7 am on Saturday, June 17th, and ended four and a half days later, when there was only one person still running, Australian Phil Gore. After running the 6.7-km lap no less than 102 times, he was finally declared the winner, yes that is 425 miles (685 kilometres) in four days! “It’s surreal,” Gore told ABC.net.au. “I remember when one of the Belgians had the record at 75 [in 2020], I put that on my plan as a stretch goal, not ever thinking I’d get there. “For me, running is a part of life, I even run to-and-from work.” And it is not just about running, temperatures throughout the four and a half days of running fluctuated from -2 degrees Celsius during the night to 22 degrees on sunny days, which made the event even harder. The winner said he prepared for the temperature difference by taking cold showers for two months before the ultramarathon, and here I am, barely able to run for a bus!


No comments: