Monday 2 January 2023

This A Special Sunday,

the first day of 2023, 



first a read and a sherry, the book I am reading for myself is just so enjoyable, the book is about the life of one of my favourite non-fiction writers, the Reverend J. G. Wood, written by his son, Theodore Wood, titled The Rev. J. G. Wood: His Life And Work

what I like about books like this is the trivia that is mentioned, for instance in the Reverends collection of natural curiosities he had a stuffed skin of a hedgehog, the reason for it being in the collection along with some poison arrows was and I quote from the book:

 'a hedgehog which had fallen victim to a prick from one of the arrows: strong testimony to the potency of the venom, as hedgehogs have little objection to arsenic, strychnine, and prussic acid, receive the bite of the viper with perfect equanimity, and are practically poison proof.' 

I never knew hedgehogs were 'practically poison proof', and it is titbits like this I enjoy so much reading about,

time for our starters, for today chicken liver and bacon pate,

'Cheers!',

for our main course, gammon ham, pineapple and egg for Diana,

lamb chops for myself, 

another 'Cheers!', we were so full we did not have a dessert, we then decided to pull the last of the Christmas crackers, I will refrain form mentioning the jokes, they were just too bad!

in the late afternoon it was feet up for Run Fat Boy Run, a funny upbeat London based comedy, made even better with Dylan Moran playing the sidekick who we first saw in that great comedy series Black Books, I should mention the film has the best comedy fight scene I have ever seen,

we then watched the last episode of Wednesday, what a great series, the ending leaving ample scope for a squeal,

by now it was late so we rounded of the evening with 7 Women and a Murder, it was an Italian movie dubbed in English, and would not have seemed out of place if it was written by Agatha Christie, the plot believable, the settings just right and the actresses all playing their parts so well, after the finish of that we were off to bed.


No comments: