Thursday 4 May 2023

Blog Posted,

and I was on my way to visit Duncan,


it was bright sunny day,

but with just a shirt and sports jacket on it was decidedly chilly, 

arriving at the number 54 bus stop the first bus sailed past, followed by another one that did stop, 

the same as last week, the buses with no time between them, 

the bus I was on caught the first bus up at every stop, 

then of course the bus I was on, the second one, stopped for a driver change, meanwhile the first bus carried towards Blackheath, 

thankfully the change did not take too long, looking at the never ending refurbishment of this building,

there were still a number of things to complete,

passing Lewisham market,

I soon arrived at the florists next to Blackheath station,

new for this week, hydrangeas,

lots of cut flowers,

and potted plants, 

also new for this week, grow your own strawberries!

I was in luck, the 09.31 was on time to Gravesend, so no changing trains at Dartford, and so was I on time to catch it,

it was chilly in the wind, but hopefully the wind would die and it would become warmer,

arriving at Gravesend, the wind did not die down, it was chilly,

off of the bus and up the hill to the nursing home,

the silver birch at the entrance almost now in full leaf,

I am guessing these are white cherry blossoms, whatever they are they looked nice, Duncan was in good sprits, but there was a slight problem, the remote for his television had fallen on the floor, yet again I had to crawl under his bed to retrieve one of the batteries that had fallen out, the last time this happened I asked one of the nurses to put a piece of tape over the battery compartment to stop them falling out again, but she never did, this time I walked to the nursing station and asked for some tape, we went to the matrons office, but no tape there, the nurse assured me she would find some tape in one of the other wards and bring the remote back, Duncan and myself chatted for over an hour, he asked about the remote, I went looking, it was not good, a call had been made to the homes engineer! I was assured he would arrive soon, we carried on chatting for another hour until his lunch arrived, as I said goodbye he asked again about the remote, so I asked the nurse for his remote, so at least he was not in a bare room looking at the wall, the reply, "the engineer is examining it and will bring it back when the examination is finished" all it needed was sticking plaster to hold the battery compartment closed! next week I will take some tape with me, I just hope for now the remote is returned, the television is the only entertainment he has,

back past the clock tower,

the apple tree,

now starting to flower, I will be taking a few in the autumn!

in time for the train to Blackheath on platform 0, with no changes for me,

and there it is,

on to the bus and passing the building that is never finished, a van was beside the scaffolding, but no workman in sight,

the plants on the bus stop roof had grown a tad more in the past week,

Foxgrove Lodge looking really nice now,

covered in wisteria, and the aroma, so strong,

the cherry blossoms past their best,

but the horse chestnuts really looking lush,

and in flower, 

Diana had beaten me home and prepared our evening meal, 'Cheers!',

if the candle looks a bit wonky, it was because it was, the last time I changed it, it slowly fell over over, it was already out of course, and under the sun light melted to the shape of the bottle,

Diana had prepared a real treat, roast duck with crispy skin, with roast potatoes and a mixture of different onions along with courgettes and peppers, plus a helping of coleslaw, 

Diana had the same but with a salad,

another 'Cheers!', from myself,

to round the meal off, profiteroles, with cream and ice cream,

eyes down and tuck in, after our meal it was a Lewis followed by two from A Touch of Frost before we were off to bed.


No comments: