Sunday 7 May 2023

If One Thing In My Life Is Constant,

it is my teeth, (well now my lack of them!),


photograph Travisl/Wikimedia Commons, my earliest childhood memories are not of blue skies and fluffy white bunny rabbits, it is a mask closing over my face as I was given nitrous oxide to make me unconscious as a dentist worked on my teeth, I still remember the dreams I had when 'under', it is a fact that throughout my life my teeth have constantly given me grief, so it was with interest I looked at this town, Los Algodones, it is a small Mexican town of about 7,000 people, known as Molar City, why?

of the roughly 7,000 inhabitants of Los Algodones, about 600 are dentists and the four main streets of the town are full of dental clinics, and here is the thing, they are cheap compared to the US next door, so cheap in fact that between November and April, the population of Los Algodones almost doubles! You might think that the low price means poor quality,


but nothing could be further from the truth, the best dentists in Mexico can be found in Los Algodones and because of the sheer number of dental clinics in town, there is a healthy competition to offer only the best treatments, dental clinics in Molar City constantly upgrade their equipment, so many of them are using cutting-edge solutions and techniques that aren’t used anywhere else, that is why it’s not uncommon for foreign dentists to come to Los Algodones to learn new techniques and practice with the most modern equipment, am I interested? well pandering to my vanity some time ago I looked at a set of implants, this is a similar plan that my dentist would use, £18,000 approximately for the top, the same for the bottom, £36,000! which begs the question how, much for a return ticket to Mexico and a full set of teeth!


No comments: