Tuesday 2 May 2023

My Day In Rochester, Part One,

I will only be making one post today, and I will be splitting it into two parts, 


because, you guessed it, I took too many photographs, the day started with an unusual sight,

4 ducks on the ridge tiles of the house opposite,

three at the end, 

and one midway along the roof, for myself it always seems strange to see ducks on a roof, but there it is, 

now the bad news, Diana had to go to work today, so I walked into town with her,

saying our goodbyes at the bus stop,

for myself on to the railway station,

the floor of the footbridge now into its 9th. month of repair,

a good job the ironwork did not need replacing!

only a few feet to go now, 

I was after changing trains at Bromley South soon hurtling towards the River Medway,

and this is where I was headed, the Rochester Sweeps Music Festival,

soon passing the castle,

and the River Medway,

I was soon nearing the station,

the cathedral, 

I was headed for the High Street, to do so I passed through the building with Historic Rochester depicted inside, 

I could not help but notice these,

Rochester Teddies!

into the High Street,

and straight away,

into a fun packed display,

for the kids, 

and the adults,

and that is what the festival is all about,

the participants,

and the crowd having a great time,

I watched a couple of numbers,

as the dancers went through their paces,

then a surprise, the audience was asked to join in, what a hoot for all concerned, 

I made a couple of videos of the performance, 

it was so nice watching everyone, 

one of the troupes were walking along the street,

so I just had to take a few photographs of them,

if only had an once of musical talent in me!

I would be there,

I should point out that these are the Bishop Gundlf's Novices,

walking further along the street, a number of shops were open, like this one, 

back in the day, in most country pubs everyone had their own personal pewter tankard kept behind the bar in their local, not so today, so there are plenty of them up for sale,

I then bumped into a true troubadour

I was then passing the cathedral garden, 

where I bumped into these fearsome fellows,

but fear not, as with everyone here the weekend was a time of fun and frivolity,

taking advantage of the height of the garden, looking right,

and left, although it was the last day of the festival, it was still as popular as the first I am guessing,

a quick look at some more of the shops that were open,

the florists, 

and one of my favourite shops here, I Dig Dinos,

am absolute treasure trove,

of anything to do with rocks, minerals and fossils,

tray upon tray of treasures to be explored,

each time I looked at a different display,

I was reminded of my meagre collection,

of manly phosphorescent rocks and minerals,

 in my man attic at home,

if you look carefully at the far end of the attic, you will see Reynard,

I have my collection on a revolving clear display stand,

that I illuminate with a U.V. light, 

the U.V. light gives Reynard an eerie glow!

I walked towards the castle,

where a band was playing, I believe they were called Capella,

and here is a small video I made of them,

looking towards the moat, there were a few stalls,

this one selling music, vinyl, 45s and 33s, singles and long play and CDs,

the castle itself,

the Union Jack at full mast,

I decided to take a look at the food stalls,

coffee stalls as well,

but everything I fancied, had a long queue,

bacon roll, yummy!

the cathedral was opposite the food stalls,

as I made my way back towards the High street,

and then it rained,

the weather had been so nice, so far,

not a heavy shower,

but it was a shame for the stall holders, like this one,

the good news was that the rain soon stopped, so I wish him the best for the day,

a bit of fun, in need of a tune up, this gentleman was quite accomplished,

as can be seen from the video,

it looks like I have taken this photograph at an angle,

but it is the building that is leaning not me!

the sky cleared as I came to the end of the street,

retracing my steps,

I started bumping into Morris dancers,

smoky burgers seem to be on the menu here, 

this chap was the original one man show, having a conversation with himself, the puppet and anyone else that wanted to join in,

at the green, on the station side of the road,

this group were forming up. 

they were the Offcumdums, a small part of the group,

wait a second, 

Ta-Dah!

I continued walking,

in a few hours the parade would start,

going through the High Street, so lots of sweeps were reading themselves for the start,

a Scottish presence was here with these two chaps, unfortunately by the time I move to record them,

they had finished their routine, I am stopping the post here, as when there are a lot of photographs it takes longer than usual to post, if you would like to see the rest on my day in Rochester, and my home coming with the ducks, please click on the 'Older Posts' button at the bottom right of the page.


No comments: