Saturday 7 August 2021

Just A Couple,

of amazing mosaics,


photographs Justin Bateman/Land MindsUK-based artist Justin Bateman creates some of the most amazing artworks out of stones just found on the beach or wherever he is, Justin’s masterpieces range from 1m² to 10m², and can take between a few days and a few weeks to complete (“depending on how well the rocks are behaving”) and always require perfect concentration to get just right, and then? he just walks away, the masterpiece lost forever, “I work in forests, on beaches and even in car parks! In Bangkok, I used a railway line, where there was an abundance of stones,” Bateman said. “I thoroughly enjoy each stage of the process, finding pebbles, planning the subject, locating the environment, making the art, photographing the outcome, and responding to my audience.”

“At first it was hard to destroy the work when I had spent so many hours creating it,” the artist told Bored Panda. “But the impermanence aspect of the site-specific work is important to me. I can make permanent pieces, but most of the work is not meant to last. It is ephemeral, like the seasons. I prefer the natural environment to remain natural, so I remove any indication of my presence when I leave the site and disperse the stones.” you can see more of his works on Instagram or Landminds, I still cannot imagine how picking up pebbles he sees the work in his mind and completes it, amazing!


No comments: