Friday 6 August 2021

I Only Mentioned Yesterday,

that Beckenham was having a flying ant day,


well it appears it was not only Beckenham, it was a London wide ant fest! flying ants have invaded London, image: Pixabay, apparently it is that time of the year again where flying ants are everywhere, the winged insects swarm skies throughout July and August, mainly because this is the time when a queen leaves a nest along with a swarm of males, and judging by social media, flying ants have been swarming all over London, on Twitter, one person said: "The flying ants have hit London and I'm not here for it." another said: "Surely this wildlife would thrive somewhere else? But it’s London these flying ants have decided to choose?" a third "Oh god it’s flying ants day in London. Just found one on my neck," a fourth added: "I’ve got those ants in my face mask." Flying Ant Day- scientifically referred to as nuptial flight - happens when a young queen leaves the nest to find their own colony, they will mate with the strongest males during the flight, before landing and starting their own colonies at a new location, and now the bad news, although its name indicates it is a 24-hour event, Flying Ant Day usually happens over several days, and I have to go out again today, but as I mentioned here in the park, not a a single flying ant to be seen, now where did I put the bug spray?


No comments: