Wednesday 18 August 2021

I Was Intrigued,

when I saw the phrase 'Nude City',


what did it mean? so I had to have a look, and here it is, Tokyo, Tokyo-based photographer and retoucher Rumi Ando creates urban landscape photography of Tokyo, but with what she calls 'noise' taken out,

Ando has retouched each of her photographs, painstakingly removing all evidence of human life except for the buildings they’ve built, all windows, A/C units, antennas, ducts have vanished, leaving only the skin of a city: a nude Tokyo,

Rumi Ando began her Tokyo Nude project in 2020 and has since created multiple cityscapes that are now part of a photo book, 

the photographs are in her book and at Tokyo bookseller Book And Sons now through to August 22, 2021,

You can see more of Ando’s work on her Instagram account, where she’s posted retouched photos of other Japanese cities as well, I have to say the photographs to me look really strange, without all of the clutter.


No comments: