Saturday 28 May 2022

And Then There Were None,

I looked out of the window as usual,


and for the first time in several days,

not a duck in sight,

Diana did not have to go into work until the afternoon, so we watched some television until she left, for myself it was time for a sherry and a read,

for tonight chilli con carne,

'Cheers!',

after a read I made a move,

it was a nice evening,

as I passed Foxgrove Lodge,

some of the purple peonies had opened,

the white ones still looking nice,

I made my way past the green,

to the 227 bus stop, I was out to meet Steve,

but there was a slight snag, as a number of passengers got ready to leave the bus, it did not stop at Maple Road, the stop was closed due to roadworks, which meant walking back into town, but at least it gave me the chance to take a few photographs of Waterman's Square,

the main building surrounded on three sides by alms houses,

the Free Watermen and Lightermen's Almshouses were built in 1840–1841 to designs by the architect George Porter by the Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the City of London for retired company freemen and their widows,

the entrance has imposing gates,

in 1973, the almspeople were moved to a new site in Hastings, and the original buildings were converted into private homes,

what a nice place to live,

almost opposite, this is why the bus did not stop,

looking along the High Street

I was soon at Southey Street,

with its graffiti,

which looked rather nice as it happens,

at the end of the alley way the micro brewery were we were meeting, the Southey Brewing Company,

the beers on offer this evening, we started at the top and worked our way down trying at least one of each,

a double 'Cheers!' from Steve,

and one from myself, we chatted the evening away, after saying our farewells I was on the bus home, 

and soon walking past the cemetery, Diana was already home as I returned, so it was out with a bag of toffee popcorn and feet up for a nightcap as we watched a Silent Witness before we were off to bed.


No comments: