Thursday 30 September 2021

I Must Remember,

not to have taken a mouthful of coffee,



when I read articles like this, The Kunsten Museum of Modern Art in Aalborg, who supplied the photograph above, asked Jens Haaning to recreate two of his most popular artworks, the artist presumably short of cash asked for some money upfront, 328,000 kroner for one, at todays rate £38,074.55 or $51,172.03 and €25,000, at todays rate £24,167.08 or $32483.22 for the other, the great day came, the museum unwrapped masterpieces, and there they are above, two blank canvas, helpfully the artist emailed the museum with a title for the pieces, “Take the Money and Run”, I nearly choked on my coffee when I read that! “The work is that I have taken their money,” Haaning told the Danish radio program P1 Morgen last week. “It’s not theft. It is a breach of contract, and breach of contract is part of the work.” he also mentioned that “Of course I will not pay it back,” the artist added. “The work is that I took the money and I will not give it back.” sometimes I think the art world takes itself too seriously, is this one of them?


No comments: