Friday 26 November 2021

Diana Had Already Left For Work,

before I made my way to the bus stop,


a glorious day, not a cloud in the sky,

the two new saplings,

still here, hopefully the vandals will leave them alone this time,

bus to the bank opposite the war memorial,

and the Odeon cinema, money transferred, club subscriptions paid for another year,

next stop Lidl,

to buy a joint for the weekend, spiced rum and a few other bits and pieces,

also some flowers,

we were fine for the tree, arriving home and then a call from Diana, we had arranged to meet on the 54 bus and travel to Charlton, and it worked! as the 54 approached I could see Diana was on board, 

we never expected to see one of these in front of us, a step on step off Routemaster, brought in to replace the electric trolley bus, I remember in the early 1950s my grandmother and myself travelling on these totally silent trolley buses, and no exhaust fumes!

we soon passed the Catford cat,

looking at the other side of the sign,

past Lewisham market,

normally when we go to Greenwich we alight here and walk across the heath, but today we join the queue of traffic waiting to go up the High Street,

and the traffic was bad,

past the church,

and about 25 minutes later here we are, at Charlton House,

a quick pose,

and a first look at the house, which was built between 1607 and 1612 for Sir Adam Newton, who was tutor to Henry, Prince of Wales - the eldest son of James I, 

Charlton House is one of the finest surviving Jacobean manor houses in England,

at the front of it some stalls,

we were both a tad hungry,

so the hot dog stall it was then,

delicious!

the sun was going down,

as we went inside to have a look around, it has a small library,

normally pre-covid it is a learning center,

with a number of computers for use of students,

although not yet open except for events like this, I had to have a sneak look at one of the ornately carved staircases,

next outside for carol singing, we all had song sheets, lots of local families with a electric organ and the local vicar leading the singing,

followed by the countdown to lighting the tree lights, 

as you can see and hear in the above video, the kids, as you can imagine enjoyed joining in in the 5-4-3-2-1, (as did a lot of the parents!),

ta-dah! the tree was lit, 

Diana joined the queue inside for our hot coffees, 

before having a last look around,

where I spotted this beauty,

we found a bench to sit down a sip our coffees in the garden, followed by a walk to the bus stop and home,

in the evening Diana put up the last of our tree decorations,

with the Christmas angel on top, I missed Monday's Hornby, but the episode was being repeated this evening, this one about remodeling the Intercity 125, so named because the trains cruising speed was 125MPH between cities in the UK, we followed that with a Lewis and a New Tricks, I hate to say it, but there will only be this one post today, yesterday I started to get a tooth ache, at 02.00AM I was up eating paracetamols as fast as I could! I had a terrible nights sleep, first thing I telephoned the dentist who had a cancelation, so now I am off to the dentist, and with that we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Stan and Diana- we enjoyed another nice tour with you folks. Sorry to hear about your tooth and hope the dentist was pain free. Maybe three fingers of spiced rum in a glass for medical treatment is in order?
We must say Diana did a wonderful job finishing up the tree. It is just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing and happy holidays to you both. Stay safe!
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, many thanks for your kind comments about the tree, Diana always makes a much better job of it that I possibly could!, as for the teeth, there are 2 of them, one on the left will be OK, the one on the right has to come out, the sad news is that it means I will need a bottom plate as I will have no 'chewing' teeth on that side of my mouth, and worse still I have had to cut down on the spiced rum as I am on antibiotics! apart from that, Merry Christmas! best regards, Stan and Diana.